Over the years, Kaizer Chiefs have made it their culture to promote players from their junior teams. Unfortunately, some of these players they promote don't cut it in the senior team and end up being released.
However, some have gone on to make it big at other teams, forcing Amakhosi to go and sign them back, whether by buying them or getting them back after a loan spell. This has been somewhat a rollercoaster for Chiefs.
Supporters Club today takes a look at players Amakhosi released after promoting them, only to get them back into the team later:
1. Fani Madida: Promoted in 1987 and was loaned to Blackpool – Brought back in 1990. Sold to Turkish team, Besiktas.
2. John Shoes Moshoeu: Promoted in 1987 and was sold to Blackpool – Brought back in 1993. Sold to Turkish side, Genclerbirligi in 1993. Brought back in 2002.
3. Pollen Ndlanya: Promoted in 1990 and was loaned out in 1991 – Brought back in 1994. Sold to Turkish side, Goztepe, in 1996.
4. Siphiwe Tshabalala: Promoted in 2002 and was loaned to Alexandra United in 2003, loan ended with his contract also expiring. He was snatched up by Free State Stars in 2004. Chiefs brought him back in 2007.
5. Siyanda Xulu: Promoted in 2008 and was released, and joined Mamelodi Sundowns in 2009, before going to Russian side Rostov. Brought back in 2015.
Do you think Amakhosi should keep more of their academy players and not let go of them so often?